Saturday, October 12, 2013

Because I Knew You, I Have Been Changed for Good


I believe that everyone has a story. That listening is more important than talking (even though I’m not the best at that) and more important than just listening is learning. I believe that everyone enters our lives for a reason, for a purpose. When we listen we learn things we could never imagine and appreciate what we have in our lives that much more and hopefully are impacted enough to start addressing societal ills in whatever way we can.

It was great seeing Hugh Jackman, meeting him and his wife, the Tuohys from the Blind Side, the Vp of Ford, executives from Southwest Airlines, 3M, BB&T, Senators Klobuchar, Nelson, and Grassley. Seriously, this week was really great.

But my favorite parts of this week were not meeting celebrities and hearing their adoption stories. My favorite parts were spending time with the Foster Youth Interns, Senator Landrieu, and the organization and teenage boy that won Angel Awards from Louisiana. On Monday, at the advocacy fair for our legislation: Children in Families First, (visit our website childreninfamiliesfirst.org and like us on Facebook please!), I was able to meet angels in adoption award recipients from around the country. All of whom have done something influential for adoption in foster care. I met Elijah Evans, a 15 year old from Lafayette, La, who started an organization to help foster kids get Christmas presents and has raised over $15,000. Here is an article about him (http://theadvocate.com/home/7110959-125/abused-as-a-child-adopted) Moments such as seeing my Senator cry in a meeting with her angel when talking about foster care are the ones I cherish. I was also able to talk to one of the foster interns from the summer, Alan, who is getting his masters from Pepperdine. My mom also came in for the Angels Gala. It’s these moments that make an impact on my life more than any fancy event.
Here are some pictures from the week:

Lunch with the VP of Ford

Some of the inspirational Foster Youth Interns I met this summer at the reception at the Senator's house

Ford Global Scholars with our advisor and the VP of Ford

Senator Landrieu and some of her amazing staff

Me and Senator Klobuchar at the TWC Gala

One of the best FYIs, Lexie 

My mom and I at the Angels Gala



“I’ve heard it said that people come into our lives, for a reason, bringing something we must learn, and we are led to those who help us most to grow if we let them, and we help them in return.”- Wicked

No comments:

Post a Comment