Wednesday, September 25, 2013

20 Reasons I love DC (and why you should too)


"Washington is a city of Northern Charm and Southern Efficiency."- John F. Kennedy
(I have to say I'd reverse that comment (southern charm, northern efficiency)
 
1.       There is a festival or event for absolutely any occasion… I kind of expected this to only be true in the summer, but I was wrong! From a Turkish festival to random concerts on the capitol lawn, if you can’t find something to do you’re not trying.

2.       There is actually a season called fall, where the weather changes.  I had heard of it but one morning a couple of weeks ago, I woke up and it was about 45 degrees. I thought, what? This is winter. Nope, there is actually a place where the leaves change color.

3.       Where else can you see monuments with oversized humans daily?

4.       There is something called a mall, and it’s not for shopping.

5.       You’re likely to hear just as many people speaking languages you’ve never heard of as you are people speaking English.

6.       There are about twenty different neighborhoods with individual personalities. Some of them you never want to go to, but most of them you do.

7.       The metro and bus system. Although it can be highly unreliable, most of the time it works decently and it’s nice not to have to look for a parking spot.

8.       Congress. This is a controversial one. But, today I was on the elevator with this super friendly old man who was a representative and I had to include it. Ultimately, it’s why I’m here anyways.

9.       The endless amounts of running trails and roads. Although the mall never gets old, it’s neat to get to go so many different places and have trails.

10.   Diversity. Once again, there are so many interesting people from around the world.

11.   Lots of random kinds of good food. Except Mexican, that one has yet to be discovered here.

12.   People. No, everyone does not have an inflated ego. In my experience most people don’t and want to be your friend.

13.   Free Everything. DC might be one of the most expensive places to live but at least most of the site-seeing is free and there are endless events.

14.    Stories and Jobs. Many people have interesting stories and jobs doing things you’ve never heard of, which is always interesting.

15.   Progressive-ness. DC is in a constant state of change with neighborhoods evolving.

16.   Bike paths and friendly-ness towards pedestrians. Although I’ve had a few close encounters with cars, it’s pretty nice to be able to walk to work and the grocery store… except when you have to carry heavy grocery bags home.

17.   Embassies. Embassy Row is so cool and I love walking past embassies of countries I’ve never heard of.

18.   Young People. I’m pretty sure the average age is in the twenties. I guess that wouldn’t be cool if you were older but it’s good for people my age.

19.   Proximity to other cool places, like Alexandria, Mount Vernon, and Shenandoah Park.

20.   It’s the capitol of America. I feel like that should be enough right there.


Actual update on my life coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment