Saturday, May 4, 2013

Always Forgive, Never Regret, and Help Somebody Every Chance You Get: Reflections on 20 Years


Today I turn 20. Just like that. 2 decades. 7,300 days on this planet.

There’s nothing too special about age 20, no real new privileges, but taking some breaks from studying, I’ve done some reflecting on the past two decades.

I’ve been to 20 states and DC, lived in two (California, Colorado, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Michigan, Illinois, DC) some of them a lot.
4 Countries (Italy, Uganda, England, Bahamas), soon to be 6.

I’ve gone to Uganda which redefined my view on what it means to be grateful and that oftentimes when we think we can teach someone something they end up teaching us so much more.

I’ve run over 4,000 miles, raced over 150 times, which has led to many tears, many stressful moments, but in the end many great people and conversations, and learning that you really can accomplish things if you believe in yourself.

I’ve lived 70% of my life with little to no hair, which has brought me to 10 NAAF conferences, 3 trips to DC, many congressional meetings, one bring your daughter to work day, 4 internships, thousands of dollars for NAAF, 5 tortoise and hair races, many beadforlife bracelets sold, one school in Cambodia, part of a hospital in Ethiopia, many awkward conversations of people telling me their cancer life stories and me not being able to relate, and much more. This has taught me that everything really does happen for a reason and that my life would probably be really boring if I hadn’t gotten alopecia.

And there’s been a lot more. But, that’s not important.

Some things I’ve learned:

Don’t let anyone stop you from doing what you’ve always wanted to do. Hard work gets you very far in life. But at the same time, it is entirely possible to be your own worst enemy.

Everything happens for a reason-actually.

And some advice courtesy of my favorite song (My Wish)

And if you’re faced with a choice and you have to choose I hope you choose the one that means the most to you.

If one door opens to another door closed I hope you keep on walking till you find the window.

I hope you never look back but you never forget, all the ones who love you and the place you live.

I hope you always forgive and never regret and help someone every chance you get.

Let your dreams stay big, worries stay small, and that you never need to carry more than you can hold.

So, as I progress into the next 20, 40, 60, and hopefully 80 years, I still have a lot to learn and a lot to experience. And today, think not of what you can do for yourself, but what you can do for the world. Experience unselfishly, using those events to impact others and always remember everyone has a story. 

1 comment:

  1. Dang you have done so much in your 20 years of life!!!

    ReplyDelete